The mission of the Illustration program is to prepare students to understand and use pictorial imagery to communicate a concept, message, or narrative to impact an audience. The program provides a strong foundation of image creation and project development through the application of traditional and digital media techniques that are relevant to contemporary print and web-based publishers.
- To introduce the students to the critical skills needed for effective visual communication
- To develop variety of media skills necessary for strong visual solutions to assignments
- To link the traditional concepts, theories, and practice of illustration with an ever-evolving marketplace and the latest in design technology
- To inform students about the historical continuity of the profession of Illustration and to give them a professional background of the field of publishing business
- Demonstrate visual-communicative abilities and implement basic design principles to address narrative or conceptual projects
- Develop strong visual and artistic skills using a variety of illustrative techniques, both traditional and digital, in black and white and color
- Apply the process of an Illustration project – from research of the subject to developing ideas through sketching – to finished image
- Create work in series of images maintaining a cohesive stylistic approach and demonstrated execution of Illustration program competencies
See the Illustration studio
Book illustration is visually interpreting a narrative for children, young readers, or adults using a cohesive style and technique. Editorial illustration employs a strong conceptual component, visually translating a message regarding current events, business, social, political or cultural issues.
Create graphic novels and illustrated short stories, developing an individual style and graphic vocabulary.
Explore visual storytelling with dramatic action, fantastic adventures and heroic characters through color, line, and dynamic compositions.
Syllabi and Supply Lists with Costs
Committed, aspiring artists and designers are invited to apply.
Benefit from our rigorous academics, hands-on studio work, and meaningful mentorship from our faculty of practicing, professional artists and designers.Apply Now