Federal & State

To begin, each student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

All students who complete and submit the FAFSA are eligible for various forms of financial aid. The FAFSA determines the amount and what type of financial aid a student may receive. A FAFSA should be filed as soon as possible for priority financial aid packaging and to determine the amount of federal, state, and institutional student financial aid the student may receive.

DCAD recommends the FAFSA be submitted after January 1 and prior to March 1 for students entering in the fall semester or December 1 for students entering in the spring semester. If a student is admitted to DCAD after March 1 or December 1, a financial aid application must be submitted within two weeks of receipt of the notification of acceptance. Once enrolled, students must reapply for financial aid by filing a FAFSA renewal every year.

Students and parents of dependent students must request a Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) to sign the student’s completed online FAFSA. The DCAD school code is: 041398.

The FAFSA can be completed more easily and accurately if the necessary income tax returns for the previous calendar year have been completed. In addition to the FAFSA, the following income verification documents also may be required by the DCAD Financial Aid Office:

  • Signed copies of student’s and parent’s 1040 Federal Income Tax form from the previous year;
  • W-2 forms from previous year; and,
  • Verification Worksheet(s) provided by the DCAD Financial Aid Office.

A Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent electronically within a few days after submitting the FAFSA. When the SAR is received, review it carefully to make sure it is correct and complete. Corrections can be made online with the Personal Identification Number (PIN). If a SAR is not received, one may be requested by calling the FAFSA Helpline at 800.433.3243. The SAR should contain an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which the DCAD Financial Aid Office will use to determine the financial aid “package,” usually a combination of several types of aid.

The DCAD Financial Aid Office receives FAFSA results within three to four days after the FAFSA is filed. After all corrections and verifications are processed, the Financial Aid Office emails each student a financial aid award offer and sample student budget.

For help with completing your FAFSA, call the FAFSA Helpline at 800.433.3243. In addition, you may wish to download DCAD’s FAFSA Filing Instructions.

Federal & state aid
Additional Resources
  • Federal and State Aid Eligibility

    To receive federal and state aid, students must meet the following criteria:

    • Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen
      Completed high school diploma or GED required for admission to the college
    • Demonstrate financial need based on the current need analysis requirements
    • Not be in default on a Title IV HEA student loan or owe a refund on a Title IV HEA student grant
    • Be registered with the Selective Service if required to do so (ex. Male student)
    • Be accepted by DCAD into the Associate of Fine Arts Degree Program, declare a major area of study and enroll at least half-time (6 credits or more). financial Aid is not available for students in DCAD’s Continuing Education Program.
    • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward completion of the program of study
  • Federal College Work-Study

    Students may submit applications to apply for on- and off-campus (community service) work-study employment while enrolled at DCAD. Students work 5 to 15 hours per week, are paid and receive paychecks on the 15th and 30th of each month. Positions include: office assistants, lab monitors, student ambassadors, tutors, instructor aides, reading assistants, etc. Students also have been placed at various off-campus sites within walking distance of DCAD, including Christina Cultural Arts Center and The Delaware Contemporary.

  • State Vocational Rehabilitation (V-R) Offices

    The Financial Aid Office works with government agencies such as State Vocational Rehabilitation Offices, for students with documented disabilities seeking various recuperative educational grants. Students should check with their state’s Vocational Rehabilitation Offices for V-R details and to determine eligibility for V-R grants.

  • United States Department of Veterans Affairs

    DCAD also works closely with students who are or have served in the military i.e. active duty, veterans, and/or dependents, to secure military educational benefits. Visit www.va.gov for details.